铜甲骑士

积分

妙峰山

发表于 2007-11-17 06:11:42 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

亲,以车会友,扩大圈子。注册一下吧?

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?免费注册

'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says

“你必须找到你生命中最热爱的东西”乔布斯如是说

This is the text of the Commencement address by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of PixarAnimation Studios, delivered on June 12, 2005.
这是一篇由斯蒂夫·乔布斯(苹果计算机公司与Pixar动画工作室的首席执行官)在2005年6月12日于斯坦福大学毕业典礼上所作的演讲。

I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.
我很荣幸地和你在一起共同经历你在世界上最好大学的毕业典礼!我从来没有大学毕业过。说真的,这是我最接近大学毕业的时刻!今天我想告诉你们关于我生命里的三个故事。就是这些,并不是什么大故事。仅仅是三个故事而已。

The first story is about connecting the dots.
第一个故事是关于串起生活的点滴:

I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?
在我在里德学院上了6个月课以后我就退学了,不过我在我真正退学之前我还是又在学院里旁听了16个月的课。那么为什么我要退学呢?

It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly thatI should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking:"We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said:"Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from highschool. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.
这还要从我的出生前谈起。我的生身母亲是一个未婚先孕的大学生,并且她决定通过让别人收养我来让我提高我的人生。她非常希望我能够被大学生收养,于是一出生的时候我就被她安排让一对律师夫妇收养。令人惋惜的是当我出生了以后,这对律师夫妇在最后时刻决定还是收养一个女孩比较好。于是我排在后续名单上的养父母在深夜被一通电话叫醒,并被告知:“我们有个意外得来的男婴,你们是否想收养他?”他们回答道:“当然!”后来我亲生的母亲发现我的养母从来就没有从大学毕业过并且我的养父也没有高中毕业。我亲生母亲拒绝在收养证明上签字。但是在当过了几个月我的养父母许诺我一定供我上大学之后,她还是最终签了字。

And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the value in it.I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it wasone of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stoptaking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in onthe ones that looked interesting.
并且当我17岁时确实去上了大学。但当时我很幼稚地选择了一所学费几乎和斯坦福一样昂贵的学院,这样的学费几乎把我是工薪阶层的养父母的积蓄彻底掏空了。在六个月之后,在学校就读的我不能发现其中任何一点价值。我不知道我以后要干什么,并且也不知道大学的教育会如何帮助我勾画未来的蓝图。但是却实实在在地花掉了我养父母终身积攒的那点积蓄。于是我决定退学,并且坚信这个决定是完全正确的!当时这个决定确实引发我家庭的一些恐慌,但现在回头来看,这是我所做过的最正确的决定!一旦退了学我就不可以不去上那些原来的必修课,从而可以去旁听那些我感兴趣的课程了!

It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms,I returned coke bottles for the 5¢ deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me give you one example:
但是这也不是什么好事。我没有了宿舍,于是我只能睡在朋友的房间的地板上,我捡来可乐罐每个卖5美分用来解决我的饮食问题,并且我要每个礼拜天都要步行7英里穿过整个城市只为了在HareKrishna神庙里吃到一顿像样的饭!但是就是这些因为我的好奇心和直觉指使的误打误撞后来却变成了无价的宝藏!让我给你们举个例子:

Reed College at thattime offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country.Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and didn't have totake the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how todo this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating.
里德学院提供了当时在全美国最好的书法教育。当时在每张海报上、以及抽屉的标签上,无一不是漂亮的手写书法文字。当时因为我已经退学,不需要去上那些必修课,于是我决定去上书法课从而学习如何把字体写得很漂亮。我学习了书法的基线以及基于基线的打字机字体,以及如何根据不同的字符来进行有机地排版,从而使得整个版面很漂亮。这是一种用科学没有办法捕捉到的容美观性、历史感、有艺术品味的巧妙融合,我发现它是如此地让人陶醉!

None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But ten years later,when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me.And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautifulty pography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Macwould have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. Andsince Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.
我所做的这些在我生命中好像都没有任何实际的应用迹象。但是十年之后,当我们在设计第一台Macintosh电脑的时候,这些东西都回到了我的身上。我们把它们都应用在了设计Mac上。这是计算机第一次拥有了漂亮的字体。如果我从来没有在学院里顺便学习了这些书法课程,那么Mac电脑永远也不可能拥有那么多的字体以及很是间距很适当的排版。后来Windows操作系统抄袭了Mac的这些特性,在此之前个人电脑(PC)上从未出现过这些特性。如果我没有辍学,我也永远不会顺便学习这些书法课,个人电脑也将不会拥有这些美妙的印刷字体。当然在我还在学院的时候这些生活的点滴也是不可能会被前瞻性地期望会被连接起来的!但是当十年之后再来回头看到这些点滴确确实实地被有机地串联起来了!

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma,whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
再强调一下:你不可能前瞻性地串接点滴,你只能事后回头才发现生活中的事情应有的某些关联。所以说你要相信这些生活中的点滴在将来的某些时候会被异乎寻常地串接起来了!你必须相信某些东西:你的勇气、你的命运、你的生活、付出和回报以及很多的东西。这些经历从来没有让我停滞不前,相反地在我的生命中它们意义非凡!

[ 本帖最后由 icewwolf 于 2008-1-31 23:41 编辑 ]

风云币

活动币

积分

铜甲骑士

积分

妙峰山

楼主| 发表于 2007-11-17 06:12:58 | 显示全部楼层
My second story is about love and loss.
我的第二个故事是有关“爱”和“失”的:

I was lucky — I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from justthe two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees.We had just released our finest creation — the Macintosh — a year earlier, andI had just turned 30. And then I got fired. How can you get fired from acompany you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought wasvery talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventuallywe had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adultlife was gone, and it was devastating.
我是幸运的:我在生命的早期就知道应该去热爱了!沃兹和我在我双亲的车库里开始苹果公司当我还只有20岁的时候。我们努力工作,并且在十年中苹果公司从只要有两个人的车库企业发展到了营业收于达到20亿美元、雇员超过4000人的成功企业。一年以前,我们成功地开发了最好的创造:Macintosh电脑,当时我才仅仅刚刚30岁。然后,我就被解雇了!你怎么可能被你一手开创的公司解雇呢?是的!当苹果公司成长的时候我们雇佣了一个我认为很有才能并且能和我们一起很好运作公司的人,确实在第一年里事情发展得很顺利!但是随后我们对公司的发展方向有了分歧,最终我们吵翻了!当我们产生分歧的时候,公司的董事会站到了他那一边。于是在我30岁的时候我被扫地出门了!而且是公然地把我扫地出门!!!于是那些原来在我身上的所有关注都没有了!当时情况真是糟透了!

I really didn't know what to do for a few months. I felt that I had let the previous generationof entrepreneurs down - that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce andtried to apologize for screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and Ieven thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began to dawn on me — I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.
头几个月我真的不知道该做些什么事情。我感觉到我让以前的一代企业创办人倒掉了!我已经丢失了指挥棒实际上指挥棒已经越过了我给了别人。我会务了David Packard 和 Bob Noyce,并且道歉我没有很好地振作起来!我是一个公认的失败者,我一度都想从硅谷中逃离!但是慢慢地我意识到:我依旧热爱我所做的!苹果发生的一切转变没有改变任何事情。我虽然被逼人踢出了公司!但是我还有我热爱的东西。于是我决定重新开始!

I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.
当时我没有意识到,但是事情在发生转变:被苹果公司解雇是发生在我身上最好的事情了!成功所带来的沉重很快被重新成为一个创业者的轻松所取代!它使得我能够很轻动地投入到我生命中最具创造性的时期当中!

During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature film, Toy Story, andis now the most successful animation studio in the world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT, I returned to Apple, and the technology wedeveloped at NeXT is at the heart of Apple's current renaissance. And Laureneand I have a wonderful family together.
在随后的一个五年里,我开办了一个家叫做NeXT的公司,还有另外一家公司叫做:Pixar。并且和一个美妙无比的女人陷入了爱河,正式这个女人(Laurene)后来成为了我的妻子!Pixar继续发展最终制作出来了世界范围第一部电脑动画电影---玩具总动员,现在Pixar是世界上最成功的动画工作室!经历了不同寻常地转变,苹果公司购买了NeXT,我返回了苹果公司,我们对NeXT的研发最终成为了苹果复兴的重要基石。而Laurene和我也拥有了一个美好的家庭。

I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and theonly way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.
我很欣喜地发现如果我不被苹果公司解雇这一切就不会发生!良药苦口却利于病!有些时候生活会给你脑袋一板砖!但是不要失去信心!我能够坦然接受的唯一一件事情并且能够让我继续下去的事情就是我热爱的事业!你一定要找到你生命中最热爱并为之奋斗的东西!并且唯一能够让你真正满意的就是你确信你从事的是伟大事业!从事伟大事业的原动力就是对从事这件事情的热爱!如果你还没有找到它,那就继续寻找!不要止步不前!当你找到它的时候,就会使得你心中的很多事物与它建立紧密的关联。所以你要继续寻找直到你找寻到了它!绝对不要止步!

[ 本帖最后由 icewwolf 于 2007-12-3 22:44 编辑 ]

风云币

活动币

积分

铜甲骑士

积分

妙峰山

楼主| 发表于 2007-11-17 06:16:39 | 显示全部楼层
My third storyis about death.
我的第三个故事是关于死亡:

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made animpression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need tochange something.
当我17岁的时候,我读到了这么一句话:“如果你把每天当作你的最后一天过,总有一天你会走上正道!”这句话从此以后的33年一直深深地铭刻在我的思维里。我每天早上对着镜子都回问自己:“如果今天是你生命中的最后一天,你还会把今天做原来的那种安排吗?”如果连续几天答案都是“不”的时候,我就知道我需要改变某些事情了!

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these thingsjust fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trapof thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
铭记我会马上就会死掉是是我在做生命中重大决定的最重要的工具了!因为几乎所有的事情:所有的客观预期、所有的骄傲、所有的因困难引发的恐惧或者是失败在死亡面前都无所谓了!选择离开是最重要的事情了!铭记你马上就要死了是避免你害怕会失去某些东西的最有效手段!因为你已经一无所有了!再也没有什么事情可以阻挠你的心!

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on mypancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this wasalmost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expectto live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home andget my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means totry to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years totell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned upso that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.
在一年以前我被诊断的了癌症!我那天早上7:30要做一次扫描检查,结果很清晰地表明我得了胰脏肿瘤!我以前都不知道胰脏是什么。医生告诉我这种疾病几乎是不可治愈的,也许我也就只能再有不超过6个月的生命!我的医生建议我赶快回家打理后事,这也就意味着给我下了死亡判决书!这就意味着你需要尝试在几个月内告诉你的孩子以后十年内你所有想对他们说的话!则会就意味着你要守口如瓶,只有这样子才能让你的家庭成员好过些!这就意味着马上就要向你的生命说再见了!

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck anendoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put aneedle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, butmy wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under amicroscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rareform of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.
那些天我我每天都要面临诊断。随后的一天晚上我做了一个切片检查,他们把内窥镜下到我的喉咙里,穿过我的胃进入我的肠部,插入一个小探针到我的胰脏并且从肿瘤里提取了一些细胞出来。我被注射了镇静剂,但是我的妻子在我身边告诉我:当他们在显微镜今夏观察那些细胞的时候,医生高声尖叫了起来!因为有迹象表明我的胰脏肿瘤是可以通过外科手术治愈的,虽然这种情况在所有胰脏肿瘤中是极为罕见的!于是我做了外科手术,并且最终痊愈了!

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope its the closest I get for a fewmore decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bitmore certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:
这是我最近第一次面对死神,并且死亡这样地靠近使得我想可以再活几十年!当生命中有过这样的经历以后,我可以这样跟你说:死亡的确是一个很有用的、很纯粹的、很有智慧的概念。

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. Andyet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And thatis as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention ofLife. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will graduallybecome the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quitetrue.
没有人想去死。每个人都不希望是通过死亡的方式来实现到达天堂的目的。但是死亡仍然是我们每一个人的既定目的地。没有人能够逃脱的了。而且确实如此,死亡好像是生命中最好的一个启迪。它是生活得以改变的原动力。它会使生命推陈出新。诚然你现在很年轻,但是不久的将来,你就会逐渐地变老并且会被清除掉!这样的境遇虽然很令人伤感,但确确实实是要发生的!

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
你的时间是有限的,所以不要浪费时间生活在其他人的生活模式。不要被教条所左右---那些由别人思想形成的教条。不要让别人的意见淹没了你内心的呼声。最重要的是要有勇气去追随你的心声和直觉。你的心声和直觉会让你知道你要成为一个什么样的人。其它的事情都是次要的了!

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not farfrom here in Menlo Park,and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's,before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google inpaperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, andoverflowing with neat tools and great notions.
当我年轻的时候,有过一本非常棒的出版物叫做:”全球目录”,它曾是我们那一代人的圣经!它是由一个叫做斯图尔特。布瑞恩德的人在menlo公园编撰的,并且用他的诗歌般的格调把它出版出来。那是在60年代晚些时候,当时还么有什么个人电脑和桌面出版系统,所以它全是靠打字机、剪刀、立拍得来打造出来的!它有点象现在google搜索的纸面形式,这是发生在google诞生前的35年:它是一个理想主义的作品,充满了纯粹的手段和伟大的主张。

Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run itscourse, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age.On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morningcountry road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were soadventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.
斯图尔特河他的团队出版了数期的”全球目录”,后来就完成了它发展,他们出版了最后一期的杂志。那是70年代中期,当时的我和你们相仿年纪。在最后一期的封底有这这样一个画面:一条清晨的乡间的道路,那种你想沿着去探险的小路。图片之下写着这样的子句:“求知若渴,大智若愚”。这是他们的道别语。“求知若渴,大智若愚”我曾经这样要求我自己。现在你们将要毕业从而去开创新的未来,我希望你们也能这样做!

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
保持饥饿,保持愚蠢(求知若渴,大智若愚)

Thank you all very much.
非常感谢大家

[ 本帖最后由 icewwolf 于 2008-1-31 23:39 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 1风云币 +10 收起 理由
晴天 + 10

查看全部评分

风云币

活动币

积分

铁甲骑士

头像是我老婆!不是我! ...

积分
QQ
发表于 2007-11-18 21:38:51 | 显示全部楼层
先汗一个!
我94爱心爵骡 !

风云币

活动币

积分

木甲骑士

积分
发表于 2007-11-18 22:17:55 | 显示全部楼层
Stay Foolish!
这不是说我麽!
我就是 大智(若愚)!
大智若愚

风云币

活动币

积分

铜甲骑士

积分
发表于 2007-11-18 22:47:26 | 显示全部楼层
改变不了风向 改变自己的心情!

6万

风云币

活动币

8万

积分

管理员

高调做事,低调做人

积分

坚持不懈安全骑行勇敢无畏浪迹天涯终身成就

QQ
发表于 2007-11-18 23:17:13 | 显示全部楼层
太强了!

风云币

活动币

积分

木甲骑士

积分
发表于 2007-11-18 23:19:07 | 显示全部楼层
不用翻译了啊~ 哈哈哈~
大智若愚

风云币

活动币

积分

铁甲骑士

高阶督军

积分
QQ
发表于 2007-11-19 00:23:32 | 显示全部楼层
英文下面的汉语我基本上能认识 哈哈 汗ING
┌.偶吥會洅輕鯣啲..鰚誥倣棄┌.

风云币

活动币

积分

铁甲骑士

积分
发表于 2007-11-19 12:36:29 | 显示全部楼层
演讲!?够长的!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|手机版|【风云单车】中国不间断骑行联盟|耀骑|八天川藏 ( 京ICP备2020035694号-1|11010802033067 )|网站地图

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 06:10